......Tuesday, June 19, 2007

DeeJays and the Internet

Morning - or whatever time of day it is for you, as you read this. I'm still half asleep, even the cats' favorite game of Trip the Human has not wiped all the cobwebs from my brain, and the first cup of coffee is just passing my lips.
Something odd happened last night in chat. Well not truly ODD, and for most not even noteworthy, and true it could be just the way I took it, but still it made me sit back and reflect on a very basic truth... As I've mentioned before a good many of Bigdawg Radio's deejays hang out at 3 Paws Saloon, and often do their shows from there, playing requests, etc. Rogue was finishing up his show and was obviously not feeling well at all, so Ice Queen and I were offering to cover for him today (Saturday) if he still felt rotten. Nomad piped up, that although he knew folks were getting tired of him deejaying he was still there and could step up to bat also. Maybe he was being a bit sarcastic with the 'tired of him deejaying' - an attempt at left handed humour- I don't know, but it slapped me in the face. How could the man that we consider the backbone of Bigdawg - the one who actually carries it and the fella we all strive to follow , think anyone had grown tired of his stylings? Listening to Nomad is like...having a visit with a good friend who happens to have this enormous jukebox right handy. He's witty and charming, and most of all the fact that he CARES about his listeners shines through. That's when the 'basic truth' hit me. No matter how great you think the other person is...sometimes they just need to hear it. This holds true for all relationships. Sometimes we just get so comfortable with a person we start taking for granted that they should just know how we feel , and we fail to express our appreciation for them being - well- them.
A favorite comedian of mine, Red Skelton, once said, "If you take away the smiles, deafen my ears to their laughter, how would I know I was doing what I love well?" The radio medium is a deaf and blind situation for the deejay. We can't see if folks are enjoying themselves, or hear if they are having a good time. Since we're on the Internet, we depend on our IMs, email, and the Chatrooms, to let us know if 'we are doing what we love well'. So...have you emailed a deejay today? Hmmmm? Have you?

Posted by Scottage at 1:01 AM /

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home